Met a chap offering building inspections at a Chamber of Commerce meeting.
His target market is residential home buyers needing reassurance they’re buying a structurally sound property.
Part of a major franchise, he is struggling to get clients. Frankly, a pretty common problem.
I mentioned our new neighbours had been caught out with major defects and rectification costs even though they’d had a building inspection. Obviously one that didn’t go beneath the surface.
He told me some inspectors spend just 20 minutes going through the house whereas he can spend up to 3 hours looking for termite evidence, structural issues etc.
Hmm I thought. This was a classic case of someone really good at what they do not articulating their value in ways a client would go, “I get it, I want it and I want you”.
So I gently probed a bit deeper.
- Did he explain how thorough he was to his clients? No.
- Did he talk about how much grief he could save them down the track? No.
- How about how much they could negotiate a price down if they knew there were issues with the property but still wanted to buy it? No.
Put simply, he wasn’t demonstrating his value and giving people reasons to choose him.
I suggested he create a document which answers common questions like…
- What were the main issues to look for when buying a home.
- What percentage of homes he inspected had issues – termites, structural, etc.
- Then go on to show how much money and grief he had saved his clients due to his thoroughness.
- Put in some case studies and testimonials and a call to action.
Then when someone made an enquiry, have the document do the educational based selling for him. Takes the pressure off him. He doesn’t have to “sell”. The written word does it for him.
And yes, we could create such a document for him. We’ve done it for hundreds of different businesses and got proven results.
Marketing and selling doesn’t have to be complex or expensive. Talk to us about some of our innovative, easy to apply ideas will bring you more leads. And yes, we can teach you how to sell so you convert more business and get on with what you love doing – producing results for your clients.
Call us on (02) 9499-7958 for more information.
Rashid & Barbara.