How would you feel if you were told you’re being made redundant. Then when looking for a job find you’re either “too old” (at 41), too senior or not specialised enough.
Brings back memories of 14 years ago.
The frustration of dealing with organisations who wouldn’t consider you as you didn’t tick every ridiculous box on their long list of often spurious requirements. Trying to get past young recruiters who didn’t understand what you could really do for an organisation, tossed your resume out and never returned phone calls.
Fast forward to today and attitudes haven’t changed. If anything they’ve got worse.
If you’re 40 to 60, reasonably senior and looking for a new position, be it permanent or contract, I wish you luck. On average I’ve noticed friends taking up to 18 months or more to find something.
In every case they have extensive, broad experience in management in different industries, achieved significant results for organisations they’ve consulted to, but don’t fit in a precise box.
They have trouble articulating exactly what they do and how an organisation could benefit from their skillset.
They’re also sick of sending out hundreds of resumes, dealing with youngish recruiters who can’t think outside the box and never return phone calls.
In short, they’re stuck.
Talking with them, we realised there is an absolute need for a way to answer the question, “Why me?” when promoting themselves to highly targeted, senior decision makers in organisations who could benefit from their experience.
But how could you get in front of them in a way that triggers their interest and starts a conversation?
Have us create a Self Promotion Package and targeting methodology which will open up possibilities in the minds of potential hirers.
Remember, up to 60-70% of all jobs are never advertised. Also larger organisations can/will often create positions for great candidates. And others might think, “We wanted to get XYZ done, but we didn’t have the resources/know how, so here’s someone who could do it.”
Your goal with this package is to trigger this interest and start the conversation.
So the material has to answer:
- The main types of problems you solve?
- Who specifically you solve them for?
- Why they should choose you?
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) an employer asks you.
- Questions they should be asking to determine true expertise.
- Case studies – Talk about specific tangible and intangible results. The more specific the better. i.e. How you saved $1.5M per year in logistics costs. Or how your new product brought in $5M per year.
- Testimonials – We get real comments from your past employers which confirm these tangible results.
- Call to action – Tell them what you’re going to do next. i.e. You’ll be calling to follow up.
- Follow up. Don’t just send the package and hope for the best. We teach our clients a precise follow up system which gets you a favourable response over 80% of the time.
We understand the hardest thing is to talk about yourself and figure out how you can add value. So we create the package by interviewing you in depth, drawing out your skills and what unique value you can provide a potential employer.
We’ll even interview your past employers/clients to create the case studies. Why have us do it? People feel freer speaking to an uninvolved third party. They’re more open and we have significant skill when it comes to drilling down and drawing out information that shows you in a better light.
We then wrap all this up into a document you can send.
But it doesn’t stop there.
We’ll show you how to:
- Bypass their frontline defences and get your pack directly into their hands.
- And we’ll give you the follow up methodology and scripts to use once you subsequently call them.
- As a special bonus we’ll coach you in how to use tools like LinkedIn to identify and target appropriate decision makers.
- We’ll also set up a professional LinkedIn profile so you show up in searches for your speciality. And give you strategies to grow good quality connections to broaden your reach.
So if you or someone you know are having issues figuring out how to get your next senior appointment, or being blocked by HR or resume scanners, give us a call on (02) 9499-7958 and we’ll help you position yourself correctly to attract a lucrative, long term position.
And of course this doesn’t just apply if you’re looking for a position in an organisation.
It is just as applicable if you’re a professional consultant, be it Financial Planner, Architect, Solicitor or Accountant who wants to generate more business. You still need to answer the question, “Why me?” in a way that differentiates you from the plethora of competition out there.
Rashid & Barbara.
P.S. This is not some false scarcity. We already have a number signed up for the Self Promotion Package. Each package is individualised and takes time to produce, so talk to us now and we can get started early March.
Call us now on (02) 9499-7958 to get started towards your new position.