How would you feel if you went out of your way for someone and got no acknowledgement? Or you gave a present and got no thank you?
Chances are you’d wonder about their courtesy or lack thereof. And if the behaviour continued, you’d likely stop doing things for them.
It’s the same when it comes to receiving referrals. Someone has thought of you and gone out of their way to refer you on.
Maybe the prospect calls you directly or you call the prospect.
Either way, what happens next can have a very big impact on whether you’ll get more referrals from this person.
Here’s what in my experience often happens.
I (as the referrer) have no idea what the outcome is. Did the person make contact? Did some work eventuate? Or has the whole thing gone into a black hole.
Sometimes I even find out the supplier has got the work.
Not from them, but the end client after I enquire.
I know we’re all busy. It can be easy to forget to thank someone. But frankly, not acknowledging the help is akin to not thanking someone for a present or good deed.
The giver may forgive you once. Maybe even twice. But sooner rather than later they’ll stop giving you referrals as they feel unappreciated by you.
And there is another very good reason for keeping the referrer in the loop.
Often the person I’ve referred is having trouble connecting with the prospect. Or the prospect hasn’t quite understood what value they can add and everything’s stalled. Either way, I’ve made a call, got both parties connecting and moved things along.
Now not every referral works out.
Whether you got the work or not, appreciate the gesture.
The referrer thought of you and took action. Not to be underestimated.
So thank them and ask what you could do in return.
Having said all this, generating consistent referrals should not be left to chance. If you just wait hopefully for people to send you lots of prospects, you may be waiting a long time.
We’re all busy, so the easier you make it for some to refer you on, the more likely it is they will. Our Referral Mastery Program helps you do exactly this. Working together we will:
- Determine who your ideal clients are. What you do for them. What they love about you. We’ll do this through a combination of you telling us who you love to work with and then we’ll interview them as to why they came to you and what results they’ve received.
- Create unique case studies and testimonials Our comprehensive client interview system gives you great feedback as well as extensive case studies and testimonials you use as social proof that your solution delivers results.Over the years we’ve conducted hundreds of interviews. What stands out is many interviewees state they’d love to give referrals – but often don’t know how to without seeming pushy or appearing to presume issues in the referee’s life. Other clients report the interview process jogs clients into providing a referral as they’re reminded of the great service they’ve been provided with. However, in every case providing your clients and other referral sources with a “referral lead magnet” will increase the number of referrals you receive.
- Identify your advocates and promoters. People who know people in your target market and will promote you. You will know exactly how to approach them, what tools they’ll need to help promote you.
- Create a reward system for successful referrers. While many referrers will not want a reward, appreciation goes a long way. You will have a system to ensure no one gets forgotten. And for professionals in your network who do require financial compensation, we’ll work out what’s appropriate.
- Introduce your referral program to your current clients to gently encourage them to refer you on.
- Create a referral lead magnet which encourages prospects to call you when referred. No one wants to be sold to. Most want to do their own research before contacting a supplier – even if through a trusted referral.Designed to position you as the expert, your lead magnet will pique a prospect’s interest by reiterating the problems they’re facing, how you can help solve them, frequently asked questions they may have (or should be asking), testimonials and case studies. Rather than trying to explain your benefits, referrers can hand this document out in a non-threatening way.
- Follow Up Material Not everyone is ready to buy immediately. Therefore consistent, unobtrusive, non-threating follow up is essential. We’ll give you a system to do just that. And recommend automated tools to help you accomplish it.
The best part of a referral system is it will work on autopilot.
It will remove any stress you feel about asking for referrals and you’ll never come across as pushy or desperate again.
For more information and to get started give me a call on 0414-913-334 now. Remember, referrals are absolutely the cheapest and most effective method when it comes to growing your business consistently. So take action now and close more business now.